Skip to main content

Utilizing Video In The Classroom



When it comes to cyber security, I have found that many of the concepts can be a little difficult to understand for high school students. Multiple passes of the content have really helped re-enforce and improve the learning experience in the classroom. I have found that utilizing video has really helped by appealing to as many intelligences and learning styles as possible. I have found that video appeals to my visual - spatial learners as well as my verbal-linguistic learners due to the nature of video instruction. Last year I started flipping my classroom in which my students could watch the videos of my lectures and then in class we could do more hands-on activities to appeal to my learners that learned better in this way. I noticed that students enjoyed being able to watch the lectures to learn the content and then re-watch content that they didn't understand. As I look to design my courses for next year, my goal is to incorporate even more video. Below is a video that I made for my networking course for next year. 




When you take into account the learners that are showing up in our classrooms you start to realize that many of them have a familiarity with technology and the ability to learn from video. If you dig into the research around utilizing video in the classroom, specifically the paper titled “Using Video Effectively in Deverse Classes” you will see that utilizing videos increased engagement and a better understanding of the concepts. “Table 5 shows that the primary learning outcome attributed to video was increased cognitive understanding of course concepts.” (Fee 2014). You may be asking why is it that video has this ability over traditional teaching methods and according to Mayer’s 2009 research, it is because of the activation of both the visual and verbal cognitive processes at the same time. This paired with the reusability of the content and students being able to go at their own pace has helped the digital natives in my class be more successful. 



Cognitive Load Theory





When designing my course it is important to take into account my student's cognitive load. Cognitive load is the amount of information that the working memory can hold at one time. What I have noticed about my students (especially the students in the afternoon classes), their cognitive tanks hit “E” at different times. It is for this reason that I am leaning heavily into video and flipping the classroom. Students need a break and video allows me to have my content available 24/7 for them to learn when they are most comfortable. 






Sources:

Fee, Anthony & Budde-Sung, Amanda. (2014). Using Video Effectively in Diverse Classes: What Students Want. Journal of Management Education. 38. 843-874

Mayer, R. E. (2009). Multimedia learning (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.


.


Comments


  1. I absolutely loved watching the video that you created. I think multimedia use in the classroom is extremely important because it allows you the instructor the ability to meet the needs of all of your students. I am very interested in the idea of a flipped classroom approach. I think that if I taught upper elementary and up it would be an effective way of teaching. Allowing you the classroom time with your students to complete more hands-on activities and actually giving them the ability to apply what they just learned. I am a second-grade teacher, so that would be a little tough. Your video allows students to move at their own pace perfectly and captures all the important information they are able to apply in real life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Application of Multimedia in the Classroom

Oxford defines multimedia as using more than one medium of expression or communication. These mediums can include text, photos, videos, and other immersive technologies. Upon researching multimedia there were several examples that I have been applying in my classroom. The reason that I utilize multimedia in my classroom is to keep students engaged in the content. Some of the content that we go over in cyber security can be very dry but utilizing videos of the application of the theories helps the students understand the “why”. By utilizing multimedia I have noticed that the students are much more successful when applying the content that we are learning. When reviewing the different principles of multimedia and how to apply them to design a project or a lesson, I found that multimedia can really help with managing the essential processing of the content that we are learning. The segmenting principle (breaking down the lesson into self-paced content), pre-training (presenting the key id

Appealing to Spatial and/or Naturalist Intelligences

When explaining complex concepts, especially in networking, I have found that the more multimedia the better. I always aim to appeal to as many students learning styles as possible. Below is an example of a Thinglink that takes an otherwise flat theory, like the OSI model, and presents it with different images and videos to help students. Spatial intelligence is the concept of being able to perceive and derive insight from visual data. The goal of this multimedia project was to take the theory of the open systems interconnect model and share various videos about the different parts of the model to help students visualize what is going on at each of the 7 layers. The image by itself is an example of taking a theory and presenting it in a multimedia way but with tools like Thinglink, we can take that a step further!  In the figure below, you can see the path that information that we are presenting makes its way to the long-term memory. Utilizing the different levels of multimedia we are